Replacing a roof is a significant investment in your home’s future, so it’s important to make sure the job is done right. Here are some common mistakes to avoid when replacing your roof:
- Choosing the cheapest bid: While it may be tempting to choose the lowest bid, it’s important to consider the quality of the work and the materials being used. Choosing a reputable and experienced contractor who uses high-quality materials can save you money in the long run by preventing costly repairs and replacements down the line.
- Ignoring ventilation: Proper ventilation is critical for the health of your roof and your home. Make sure your contractor is taking into account the ventilation needs of your home when replacing the roof to prevent issues like mold growth, ice damming, and premature roof failure.
- Reusing old flashings: Flashings are critical components of your roof that help prevent water damage. Reusing old flashings can lead to leaks and other water damage, so it’s important to have them replaced along with the roof.
- Skipping the inspection: Before replacing your roof, it’s important to have a thorough inspection to identify any underlying issues that need to be addressed. Skipping this step can lead to costly surprises down the line.
- Not considering the weather: Replacing a roof is a big job that can take several days, so it’s important to consider the weather forecast when scheduling the work. Avoid scheduling the replacement during extreme weather conditions like heavy rain or high winds, which can delay the project or cause damage to the roof or surrounding property.
- Not getting a written contract: Make sure you have a written contract with your contractor that outlines the scope of the work, the materials being used, the timeline, and the cost. This will help prevent misunderstandings and disputes down the line.
- Neglecting the warranty: Make sure you understand the warranty that comes with your new roof and follow the manufacturer’s recommended maintenance and care instructions to keep it in good condition. Failing to do so could void the warranty and leave you responsible for costly repairs or replacements.
You may also want to check our recent blog about maintaining your roof to enhance its lifespan. If you are planning to install a new roof, or want to repair your existing one, MW Construction can provide you with top-class services at a reasonable price irrespective of the size of your project. To get a free estimate to install or repair a roof in the South Jersey area, reach out to us.